Friday, January 2, 2009

My Pockets Filled With Stones



Happy New Year!


I like this Audubon watercolor. I don't remember what type of little birds these are, but this is one of my favorites, because it seems so awkward, sad, but cheerful at the same time. It often seems like the more domestic and tiny the birds he is painting, the more jazzy and strange his composition.

I hope you have a good 2009. My 2008 was pretty good. Lots of cool stuff happened to me, I think. I graduated one school, and started art school.... I have moved really far in my painting, and I sort of feel more grown up. But in a not terribly grown up move, I was thinking about all the great music that came out this year, and put together my own top five list in my head on my walk home from the studio today.

They are...

1. Grouper- Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill
2. Mount Eerie, Julie Doiron and Fred Squire- Lost Wisdom
3. The Tallest Man on Earth- Shallow Graves
4. Ty Segall- Ty Segall
5. The Silver Jews- Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea

I was also thinking about this list because today I kind of felt like the art that I'm really excited about and the art that I am making (albeit to a smaller degree) kind of remind me of my favorite music of the year, too. I feel like that's probably a step in the right direction.

1 comment:

verb said...

keep it up, John! I'm glad your 2008 went well; when I see you again, I'll drag all I can out of you about this grad school thing.

Really enjoying your works from the Audubon painting. Have you seen any Audubon original prints/paintings? I think the Natural History Musuem's library here in DC may have some...

Anywho, cheers!